Try the recipe that has sold millions of waffles. If you prefer pecan waffles, add 1/4 cup chopped pecans before pouring the batter onto the waffle iron Recipe created by Todd Wilbur www.TopSecretRecipes.com
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Lightly beat the egg in another medium bowl and combine with sugar, butter, and shortening, mixing well until smooth.
- Add the half & half, milk, buttermilk and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the dry flour mixture to the wet mixture while beating and mix until smooth.
- If you can, cover and chill overnight, though the batter can be used right away.
- Rub a light coating of vegetable oil on a waffle iron, and preheat it.
- Leave the batter out of the refrigerator to warm up a bit as your waffle iron is preheating.
- Spoon 1/3 to 1/2 cup of batter into the waffle iron and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the waffles are light brown.