Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
The addictive sauce you can't get enough of on TB's Gorditas and Chalupas. From www.TopSecretRecipes.com
- 1⁄4 of a red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 large jalapeno, chopped in half
- 2 tablespoons diced Spanish onions
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 dash cumin
- Using a food processor, puree peppers and onion. Strain this mixture to remove excess moisture.
- Mix 1 cup mayo and 4 teaspoons of the vegetable purée in a bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Chill for several hours to blend flavors.
Love this recipe! I think I first saw it on TSR and have used it for a few years now. YUM!! I always add more garlic, and sometimes use pickled jalapenos, and usually add a little paprika. It's so close to the real thing! Even LIGHT mayo works well. Use this with the recipe for American Indian Fry Bread and some ground beef seasoned with the Taco Bell seasoning packet, topped off with the clone for TB Hot Taco Sauce, and you have a serious Chalupa Copy Cat! 8~)
I love this recipe as it is, but I recently started Weight Watchers so I have been modifying my favorites. I traded 3/4 of the cup of mayonnaise for 1/2 cup of light sour cream and 1/4 cup of plain fat free yogurt. I left everything else the same, and it turned out quite good, just a little less thick. It is only 1 WW point for 1/8th of a cup that way.
This is really good however I used sour cream instead of mayonnaise (icky) and it tastes just like baja sauce. So those of you who don't like mayo try it with sour cream!