Recipe courtesy of Top Secret Recipes.www.TopSecretRecipes.com If you do not use the paste food coloring to recreate the color of the original cookie, be sure to change the amount of water added to the wafer cookies from 3 tablespoons to 1/4 cup. The food coloring gives the cookies the dark brown almost black color. The coloring can be found with cake decorating supplies at art supply and craft stores. If the dough seems tacky, you can work in as much as 1/4 cup of flour as you pat out and roll the dough. Use just enough flour to make the dough workable, but not tough.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 18 1/4 ounces fudge cake mix
- 3 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1/2 cup cake flour (measured then sifted)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons brown paste food coloring (optional)
- 1Combine the cookie ingredients in a large bowl.
- 2Add the water a little bit at a time until the dough forms.
- 3Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- 4Preheat oven to 350.
- 5On a lightly floured surface roll out a portion of the dough to just under one 16th of an inch thick.
- 6To cut, use a lid from a spice container with a 1 1/2 inch diameter.
- 7Arrange the cut rounds on a cookie sheet that is sprayed with a light coating of non-stick spray.
- 8Bake for 10 minutes.
- 9Remove wafers from the oven and cool completely.
- 10As the cookies bake, make the filling by combining the filling ingredients with an electric mixer.
- 11When the cookies have cooled, roll a small portion (heaping 1/4 teaspoon) of the filling into a ball (just over 1/4 inch in diameter), and press it between two of the cookies.
- 12Repeat with the remaining cookies.
- 13Adapted from Todd Wilbur's book More Top Secret Recipes.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Top Secret Recipes Version of Nabisco Oreo Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (22 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 58
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 95.9
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 3.2 mg
- Sodium 75.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 0.7 g