Recipe by startnover
This is very good but takes patience, you must work quickly when forming and dipping. Adapted from Todd Wilbur's book More Top Secret Recipes. www.TopSecretRecipes.com.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Karo syrup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup toasted whole almond
- 35 caramels
- 2 tablespoons water
- milk chocolate, for dipping
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring sugar, water, Karo and salt to a boil and cook to 270°F using a candy thermometer.
- While this is cooking beat egg whites till soft peaks form.
- When candy hits 270°F pour it in a thin strand over egg whites while continuously beating with an electric mixer.
- Continue to mix for around 20 minutes or till the texture resembles dough, mix in almonds and press into a greased 9 inch pan.
- Cool and while it is cooling melt caramel with water and pour over almond fondant.
- Chill till firm.
- Working quickly cut candy into 24 pieces.
- Chill again then dip each piece into melted chocolate and immediately chill till chocolate is completely set.
- Store in an airtight container, separating with wax paper to prevent leaking caramel from sticking them together.