Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
From www.TopSecretRecipes.com. This is a perfect clone of Ihop's French toast!
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 6 slices thick bread
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Beat eggs in a shallow bowl.
- Add milk, vanilla, flour, and salt to eggs. Beat with an electric mixture until all is well combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When the surface is hot, add about a teaspoon of butter.
- Dip the bread into the batter and drop it onto the hot skillet.
- Let cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until each side is golden brown.
- Cut toast in have diagonally and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
This is a 5 * recipe with 1 simple change. Be sure and add the 1 T powdered sugar to the batter mixture. It needs for that IHop taste. If you only put on after it is cooked not the same. If you look at other french toast recipes you will see most have sugar in the egg mixture for a reason!
I didn't get to type my review :) I don't know about Ihop, but I just made this a few minutes ago, exactly as written, and it's delicious!!
For the 2 of us, this recipe made enough to 2 meals (breakfast & dinner), especially when paired with Amy020's recipe #101676! I did leave out the salt & used thick slices of a winter wheat bread that's a staple around our house, & the resulting french toast (although perhaps not the Ihop standard) was wonderful! Thanks for sharing! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]