Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is close. A good ketchup recipe that is cheaper than store bought, and tastes good. Based on a recipe created by Todd Wilbur www.TopSecretRecipes.com
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minute.
- Stir often.
- Remove from heat and cover til cool.
- Keep in a covered container in fridge.
Great recipe. I used 1/8 c. dark balsamic and the rest white vinegar, DH said it tasted just like the original.
Wowzers, this is a nice quick recipe. Followed the recipe with a few minor variations due to what was in my pantry. Used a clove of home made roasted garlic paste, and some home made tomato paste. Also used traditional balsamic since I didn't have white on hand and substituted the corn syrup with an equal portion of local honey.
Went nicely with a double smoked cheddar and mozzarella grilled cheese. Yummy, using this recipe again!
I was making some hot wing sauce today and found that I was out of ketchup. This recipe tastes almost exactly like the store-bought versions. The only only change I made was to substitute the corn syrup for 1/2 raw sugar 1/2 honey. Great recipe! Thanks for sharing.