Recipe by Dib's
This is about as close as you can get to the real thing. From Even More Top Secret Recipes.
Top Review by Peachie Keene
These went over tremendously well! Though they were very difficult to part with. A dangerous treat to have in your house for sure! I'd even go to the length to say that they were BETTER than Cadbury's. Now, my only complaint is the amount of time and effort it took to make. I have a toddler, and very limited time... so this ended up taking me two days to finish. Plus, every time I took them out of the fridge or freezer they would thaw quicker than I could get more than a handful progressed to the next stage. Toward the end I decided to leave the molds in the freezer and take out one at a time to coat in the chocolate - if only I had thought of that sooner!
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 4 drops yellow food coloring
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 1 (12 ounce) bag milk chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the corn syrup, butter, vanilla and salt in a large bowl.
- Beat well with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar, a little bit at at time and mix by hand after each addition.
- Mix until creamy.
- Remove about 1/3 of the sugar mixture and place in a small bowl.
- Add the food coloring and mix well.
- Cover both mixtures and chill for at least 2 hours or until firm.
- When mixtures are still firm roll a small, marble size from the orange filling.
- Wrap a small amount of the white filling around the orange.
- Form into the shape of eggs and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Repeat until done and chill for at least 4 hours.
- You want them "set".
- Combine the chocolate chips and shortening in a double boiler or ceramic bowl.
- Melt down and mix well.
- Take each egg filling, dip into the melted chocolate mixture and return to baking sheet.
- Repeat and chill again for 2 hours.
- Repeat the dipping process, chill again and you're good to go!