Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Todd Wilbur created this version for the Dr. Oz show. He said "We can attribute a lot of that famous flavor of KFC chicken to MSG. Dr OZ challenged me to replace the MSG without losing the flavor we have come to love. You may be shocked at what I came up with - but you will not be disappointed" Prep time does not include brining time. "Recipe created by Todd Wilbur www.TopSecretRecipes.com".
- 8 pieces chicken, breast, thigh, and drumsticks, with skin removed
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons premium msg-free fish sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain breadcrumbs
- 4 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons tellicherry pepper, finely ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups skim milk
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- Dissolve 1/3 cup salt in 8 cups water. Stir in fish sauce. Add chicken and marinate for 2 hours. Remove chicken from brine, rinse with water, and blot dry. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Make the breading by combining all ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then stir in the milk. When the oven is hot, dip each piece of chicken in the egg and milk mixture and then press into the breading. Toss each chicken piece in the breading until well-coated. Let chicken sit for 2 minutes in the breading. Shake off the excess breading and arrange on a baking sheet that has been thoroughly sprayed with vegetable oil non-stick spray.
- When all of the chicken has been breaded, spray each piece with the oil spray until the breading is completely moistened.
- Bake chicken for 40 to 45 minutes or until it’s nicely browned.