1/2 Photos of Top-Rated Reuben Sandwich
Rare Affaire's Note:
The Reuben is the epitome of the great deli sandwiches... every ingredient is important as well as how it's prepared. This is how we make our own Reuben, and we've been told it's the best in the Northwest. It takes making your own ingredients in several cases, but we certainly feel it's worth the trip, as have our fans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices rye bread (Our personal favorite is dill rye.)
- 2 slices swiss cheese (It depends on the maker, and doesn't necessarily need to be expensive or imported.)
- 4 ounces corned beef, pre-heated (Get the best you can... which in our opinion is Incredible Corned Beef)
- 1 ounce sauerkraut, drained (We like AB's version of homemade sauerkraut.)
- 1 tablespoon Russian salad dressing (The original was Russian, but we like Louie Dressing (For Seafood Salads or Reuben Sandwiches))
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1Preheat your grill to about 325 degrees F. (That's just about medium for many burners, but it also depends on if your stove is gas, electric, glass-topped, or a number of other factors -- experimenting is the surest way to find out.).
- 2Spread outside of each slice of rye with soft butter, about 1 Tbls per side (Scrape it thin -- too much butter makes browning more difficult and reduces crispness.).
- 3Place bread on grill butter side down, and put 1 slice Swiss on each side.
- 4Pre-heat the corned beef on a very low setting in the microwave or heat it briefly on the grill, but DON'T OVERCOOK! You want to heat, not dry out. Layer the corned beef on 1 side.
- 5Heat sauerkraut on grill, but do not brown. When it steams, it's ready.
- 6When cheese melts, remove sandwich from heat.
- 7Spread Louie Dressing onto side with cheese only. (This stops it from soaking into the warm bread and making it soggy.).
- 8Put sauerkraut onto corned beef & roughly make an even layer.
- 9Close sandwich, salt if you like (we do) and cut as desired. (We served it with a homemade dill pickle spear and a bit of salad.).
- 10Serve it hot!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Top-Rated Reuben Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 924.9
- Calories from Fat 595
- Total Fat 66.1 g
- Saturated Fat 32.5 g
- Cholesterol 223.6 mg
- Sodium 2384.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 41.7 g