Recipe by NYTX29
We always had potatoes and onions cooked in the oven along with a roast: beef, leg of lamb, or pork loin. The potatoes were brown and crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside and the onions added an extra layer of flavor. My mom wanted to find a way to have roast potatoes and onions when she wasn't cooking a roast and one that didn't require heating up the oven just for the potatoes. So, she came up with "Top of the Stove Roast Potatoes and Onions." Enjoy! Tip: use a non-stick pan to ensure even browning.
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 2 onions
- olive oil (or bacon fat if you prefer the flavor)
add a sprinkling of any of the following for a change of taste
- garlic, rosemary, oregano, poultry seasoning, etc
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the potatoes and onions into medium size chunks.
- Heat up just enough oil to barely cover the botton of a non-stick frying pan. Add just the potatoes, salt and pepper, cover, and cook over a high heat until almost browned on all sides. Check every few minutes to turn the potatoes. Add the onions. Lower heat to medium, and finish browning uncovered.
- Note: Of course the number of potatoes and/or onions can be adjusted depending on appetites!