Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Great for first time bread makers......delicious taste and turned out really nice.
- 5 1⁄2-6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages fleischmann quick-rising yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- Directions In large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt.
- Heat water, milk, and butter until very warm (120 to 130oF); stir into dry ingredients.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in 1 cup flour; beat at high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll each half to 12 x 7-inch rectangle.
- Beginning at short end of each rectangle, roll up tightly as for jelly roll.
- Pinch seams and ends to seal.
- Place, seam sides down, in greased 8 ½ x 4 ½-inch loaf pans.
- Cover; let rise in warm, draft free place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400oF for 25 to 30 minutes or until done.
- Remove from pans; cool on wire rack.
- To Make Whole Wheat Bread: Substitute 2 cups whole wheat flour for part of all-purpose flour.