Prep 50 mins
Cook 5 mins
Ed made this on Top Chef DC during the finale and it was the best dish for that show & won him the episode. I figured it was worth publishing.
- 3 -4 large bananas (sliced and brushed with red chili paste)
- 12 teaspoons red chili paste, per portion (store bought)
Cinnamon Sugar Mixture
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of each toasted black and white sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 cup flour, ap
- 2 eggs
- 1 beer
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- . Peel and cut the bananas into ½ inch slices brush them with the chili paste and sandwich them back together again. Stick them together with a toothpick so they will not fall apart when you dip into the batter and then into the fry oil.
- 2. When all the bananas are sandwiched together with the red chili paste, place them in the freezer until super chilled.
- For fritter batter- Combine eggs and beer. Combine all dry ingredients. Fold dry ingredients into wet.
- 3. Once the bananas are chilled, dip in the fritter batter and let the excess batter drip off and then fry at 350 degrees until golden brown. When cooked drain on a paper towel and remove the toothpick and dust with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- 4. Place 3 banana fritters per person on a plate and drizzle with honey and serve immediately.