Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is from the Bravo TV show, and it is absolutely divine. I am posting it as is, but I am adding a few notes, based on my experience replicating it 1) Instead of using ramekins, you can bake it all together in a large baking pan 2) Cut some of the butter and brown sugar in the crumb topping. I love sugar/butter, but it was bit too rich. 3) You will probably have some extra crumb topping. 4)If you are missing a lemon, you can substitute with 1 TBL of vinegar (especially malt vinegar) and 1 TBL of orange juice. 1 and 1/2 tsp. of of vanilla extract can substitute the 1/2 vanilla bean 5) The mixer isn't necessary. You can soften the butter in the microwave and mix it by hand. This recipe sounds long, but it is relatively quick, especially if you use store-bought whipped cream.
- 6 1⁄2 pints strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise and seeds scraped out
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 cups flour
- 2 3⁄4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 1⁄8 cups butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup honey
Whipped Cream (optional)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise and seeds scraped out
- In a medium bowl, combine berries with lemon juice and toss gently.
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar, vanilla seeds, flour, and cornstarch.
- Add sugar mixture to berries and gently mix to coat berries.
- •Crisp Topping:.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon zest. Mix on medium low speed until combined.
- Add butter and mix on low until butter is incorporated into the mixture and mixture is fluffy.
- Add vanilla and honey and mix until just combined.
- Note: You may have extra topping. Freeze any extra topping in a freezer safe plastic bag and use within three months.
- •Whipped Cream (optional:.
- In standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip cream on medium speed until it forms medium stiff peaks.
- Add sugar and vanilla seeds and whip to stiff peaks, being careful not to over-whip.
- •To assemble crisps:.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Fill each ramekin with 3/4 cup strawberry mixture.
- Top with 1/3 cup crisp topping mixture.
- Bake until turning golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool slightly.
- •To serve:.
- Top with whipped cream.