Recipe by rochsann
One of the easiest baked bean recipes around, and it always receives rave reviews. It comes from a great cookbook that is also a great read--especially if you enjoy romance, Chicken Soup for the Soul Cookbook. The version given below is halved. If you double the recipe below, cook ingredients in a crockpot on high for 1 1/2 hours, then on low for 3 more. The measurement for the brown sugar would then be 3/4 cup.
- 1 (26 ounce) canbrick oven beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can pork and beans
- 1 (15 ounce) candrained black beans
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄3 cup packed dark brown sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses (unsulfured)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Tabasco sauce (3-4 shakes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all the beans in a crockpot.
- Cut off the root and stem ends of the onion, then cut it in eighths through the center.
- Add onion sections to the beans, along with the brown sugar, mustard, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce.
- Cook on high for an hour, and then on low for an hour more.
- You can baked these beans in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour, and then at 225 degrees for an hour more, covered, or on top the stove.