Prep 2 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 4 teaspoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, shortening, and cocoa in a medium saucepan over medium/high heat.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer candy until temperature reaches 275 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- When the bubbling stops, add the evaporated milk and beat candy with an electric mixer in the pan for about 30 seconds.
- Add vanilla, then continue to beat candy until it begins to firm up, and you can no longer beat it.
- Pour candy out onto wax paper.
- When it is cool, divide the candy into several portions and roll the portions into long ropes that are approximately 1/2-inch thick.
- Use a sharp knife to slice candy into 1-inch long pieces.
- Arrange the candy on a plate and let it sit out overnight so that it firms up.