Prep 11 hrs
Cook 30 mins
The original recipe for these fruity marshmallows comes from a vintage copy of "The Joys of Jell-O Recipe Book". I changed the method so that the marshmallows set firm (not like the mallow cream-like original).
- In the bottom of a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment, whisk together the Jell-O powder and boiling water. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the remaining water, sugar, salt and corn syrup.
- Bring to a boil, then cook until the mixture reaches 238°F Remove from heat.
- Start the mixer and whip the Jell-O mixture until it begins to thicken, then carefully begin pouring in the hot sugar syrup.
- Increase the mixer to high speed and beat 10 minutes, until fluffy and very thick.
- Grease an 8" pan and dust with a mixture of icing sugar and potato starch.
- Scrape the Jell-O mixture into the pan, smooth the top and dust with more sugar/starch mixture.
- Set aside to set at room temperature overnight (at least 10 hours), then cut into cubes and toss with potato starch.
- Store in a loosely covered container at room temperature for up to two weeks.