Recipe by basia1
Great vegan dal dish. Tastes wonderful with rice. Although the recipe doesn't specify, I tend to soak my lentils over night (or during the day if I'm making this at night.) You don't have to do that though!
Top Review by zaar junkie
Tasty dish. I simplified the process by heating 1 tsp oil, added all the spices (I used whole seeds for most) and fried until fragrant, added one onion, the garlic and fried until soft, then added the lentils and water. Cooked for only about 15 minutes and it was great. I would serve this over rice or with naan, but definitely doesn't serve 4. The two of us split this dish and my bf was hungry for more afterwards. Tasty, definitely a quick and easy dish I would make again. Thanks so much for posting, this is just what I was looking for.
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (does not make it very hot though) (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 3 cups water (for cooking lentils)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon canola oil (or less)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse lentils and bring to a boil in 3 cups water.
- Reduce heat and cover.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes until lentils are very soft, the consistency of thick soup.
- Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt and cayenne.
- Allow to simmer uncovered while preparing garlic and mustard seeds: In a small frypan, heat oil to med hi.
- Saute minced garlic in oil with mustard seeds until just beginning to brown.
- Add to dal and serve immediately.