1/2 Photos of Toolie's Party Size Salsa
2 hrs 10 mins
TOOLBELT DIVA's Note:
There does not seem to be any hard and fast rule controlling the preparation and development of a good salsa. Salsas have been developed with tomatoes, no tomatoes, vegetables only, vegetables and fruit, just fruit... Salsa is just that.... a Sauce. Smooth, or with chunks...Mild, Medium, Hot, Fiery, or Volcanic Eat it on its own, or in conjunction with meats, on sandwiches, with cheese, dipped or spooned. Some cultures call it Salsa, while others will dub this delicacy, Chutney... The versatility of salsa is: if you do not like the flavour, adjust it to suit your own palate... there is no "wrong" way to make salsa... there is only a "right" way.... and all recipes are right... whether you call it "Salsa" or "Chutney". Here then is my version of Salsa to suit any palate...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 roma tomatoes
- 500 ml low-fat sour cream
- 2 cups cheese, mozzarella cheddar and monteray jack mix
- 2 cups refried beans (fresh or canned)
- 5 large fresh garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 10 jalapeno peppers, seeds and pith removed
- 2 red bell peppers, seeds and pith removed, chopped fine
- 2 green bell peppers, seeds and pith removed, chopped fine
- 2 yellow bell peppers, seeds and pith removed, chopped fine
- 6 scallions, chopped with greens
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped fine
- 1 medium carrot, shredded on medium holes
- 1 lime, juice of
- 3 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1Shred cheeses, blend and set aside.
- 2Scald tomatoes, remove skins and chop; add to large mixing bowl.
- 3Clean pith and seeds from red, green and yellow peppers -- Chop medium and add to bowl.
- 4Chop garlic cloves and scallions with greens and add to bowl.
- 5Shred carrot on medium grate and add to bowl.
- 6Chop and add herbs to bowl; use the entire bunch of cilantro; and half bunch of parsley.
- 7Add other seasonings to bowl.
- 8Cut 10 jalapeno peppers in half, lengthwise, remove pith and seeds.
- 9Roast and peel 5 (10 halves) jalapeno peppers, cut into strips and chop; add to bowl.
- 10Cut raw jalapeno peppers into strips and chop medium; set aside.
- 11Add olive oil lime juice to bowl.
- 12Combine ingredients in the bowl and mix well.
- 13Set in refrigerator to blend flavours.
- 14Next day: Heat refried beans; serve salsa, cheeses, sour cream, raw jalapeno peppers and beans each in their own bowl.
- 15Serve with Tortilla chips or grilled pita bread, cut into triangles.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Toolie's Party Size Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 140.3
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 19.0 mg
- Sodium 206.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 5.6 g