Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A friend brought this to bible study one night and I had to have the recipe. It is so simple she easily jotted it down from memory.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all cake ingredients together just until blended.
- Pour into lightly greased 9X13 pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Just as cake is coming out of oven, heat topping ingredients in small pan to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil 2 minutes while stirring.
- Pour topping evenly over hot cake.
- Serve while still warm (it is still good at room temperature).
I made this for a family gathering last week,everybody loved it! My sister begged me for the recipe,when i gave it to her she was shocked at how easy it was!!!
This cake is SUPER easy! I expected it to taste more like oranges, but it tastes great anyway. I thought an ingredient was missing from the recipe before I stirred in the oranges, because it was so powdery dry. The oranges solved that problem nicely, and we ate it warm from the oven with the sauce. Ymmmmm....
I tried this recipe because it looked fast, easy and contained ingredients that I almost always have on hand. Unfortunately, the results were disappointing... i guess that i had expected something somewhat orangey-tasting, but the cake really tasted just strange and bland. Also had a peculiar aftertaste.