Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
When the garden is producing more than I can eat... I turn to this sauce. Usually there are other things from the garden that are outnumbering me. So I throw them in too. The eggplant is a good addition because it thickens the sauce nicely. No one will know there is eggplant in the sauce.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 1 large sweet pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -3 quarts cherry tomatoes (whole)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 -15 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- In a large pot, saute onion and optional vegetables until soft and slightly browned. Add other veggies here is you want them (for example, a zucchini). If anything starts to burn, add a little water. These veggies should be fully cooked.
- Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Dump all those cherry tomatoes in there and stir until they soften. Most will pop and deflate.
- Add the salt and basil and remove from the heat.
- At this point, I use my stick blender to blend everything up right in the pan. I then put everything thru my food mill with the fine grate. This is because my family cannot get past the seeds. :).
- Serve with your favorite pasta.