Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Corn casserole made with eggs, cheese and onions.
- 1 (15 ounce) cancream styled corn
- 2 (15 ounce) cans whole kernel corn or 2 (15 ounce) cans Mexican-style corn, drained
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup of chopped parsley
- 1⁄2-1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- parmesan cheese
- Mix the whole kernel corn with the creamed corn.
- Add the remaining ingredients; blend.
- Pour into buttered 9 x 12-inch casserole.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 325°F and bake until firm, about 40 to 45 minutes.
Made this savory side dish for Christmas dinner. I had previously tried a similiar recipe my sister brought with her while visiting at Thanksgiving but it was almost like cornbread. I can say that this one is not like cornbread, and is much lighter and flavorful with a little bite from the dash or two of cayenne pepper. I did not add the chopped parsley because I didn't have any but I'm not sure it needs it unless you like the additional color. Next time I might increase the shredded cheddar to a cup reducing the butter a tad for the additional cheese. Forgot to mention I topped off the casserole with cheddar cheese rather than parmesan cheese. Your recipe was a hit at our Thanksgiving table, thanks for sharing your recipe! P.S. my veggie hating 14 year old had two helpings.....
I made this for a pre-Thanksgiving get-together and it was loved by all. I usually like corn sweet and buttery so this savory dish was quite refreshing. Definatly will make this again.