Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
What could be more simple than caramels baked in the oven. Just one ingredient. A Donna Hay recipe. You need just two cans of condensed milk. Not for the diet conscious. Cooking and preparation time does not include cooling/setting time in the fridge
- 2 (395 g) cans condensed milk
- 1 piece non-stick baking paper
- Preheat your oven to 100°C or 210°F . Line a 24 by 18cm (9.5 by 7 inch) baking dish with the non-stick baking paper.
- Open the 2 condensed milk cans and spoon into the lined tins.
- Bake for 90 minutes or until golden (if your oven cooks a little hot- then it may be ready sooner). Allow to set in the fridge. Slice and serve.
This didn't really work for me: I baked it for over 90 minutes until it was a deep golden brown, like Kraft caramels, yet it never "set" after cooling. After 24 hours in the fridge is was still too gooey to even think about slicing it. On the other hand, it was mysteriously delicious and I kept finding myself standing in front of the fridge and dipping another spoonful out of the pan.
For some reason or other I really didn't expect this to pan out the way it did, although I was hoping for the best! Well, THIS STUFF IS OUTRAGEOUS, & the recipe is so simple! Will certainly be making this again! [Made & reviewed as a recipenapped tag in the Aus/NZ Special Recipe Swap #19]
Oh, what have you done to me? I came to your recipes to find some nice healthy gluten free...and I found death by caramel! But, I love it! This was FABULOUS, thank you!!! (you may be getting a letter from my thighs, later)