Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar or 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, rounded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan over high heat, and whisk until smooth.
- Bring sauce to a boil, for 2 minutes then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Use on pork spareribs -- as cooked with the method from the book Top Secret Restaurant Recipes -- or any of your beef, pork or chicken recipes.
I have been making BBQ sauce for most of 1/2 century. Found this one probably 10-12 years ago and it has become my favorite. Except I always add 1 tsp of dried mustard. I also add an extra tsp of liquid smoke for our taste. Our kids who travel all over and eat at plenty of restaurants that brag of the best BBQ sauce, always declare that it is still the best.
I love the flavor of this sauce. Perfectly seasoned not to tangy not to sweet. And so easy. A keeper for me.
I've been using this recipe for years, since I bought the Top Secret Restaurant Recipes cookbook. We get rave reviews every time we make these. I always make a double batch of this sauce & we have it on barbequed chicken or steak the next days. Thanks for posting this recipe, so I can easily add to my shopping list.