1/1 Photo of Tony Luke's Italian Roast Pork Sandwich (The Real Deal)
3 hrs 25 mins
I don't live in South Philadelphia, but my neighbor did. He tells me this is as close to the 'real deal' as you can get... (actually he says better, because Tony Luke's cooks the broccoli rabe too much)Tony Luke's is a walk-up sandwich joint down at Front and Oregon in South Philadelphia...You don't get more "South Philly" than this! People stand in lines around the corner for this and their Chicken Special, which is the same sandwich, but with an Italian Fried Chicken Cutlet instead of the roast pork. Mangia! Start this in the morning because it has to cook slowly until it falls apart.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) pork shoulder
- 3 tablespoons garlic (chopped)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb broccoli rabe (aka rapini)
- 3 quarts water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- crusty Italian roll (football shaped)
- 1/2 lb sliced sharp provolone cheese
- 1Turn crock pot on high setting.
- 2If the roast comes in elastic-y netting remove the netting, but keep it intact, you’ll be stuffing it back in later.
- 3Mix the next 6 ingredients in a bowl.
- 4Spread the pork roast out on a clean surface.
- 5If there are any large thick sections of meat, score them with a knife.
- 6Rub 3/4 of the mixture over all exposed surfaces.
- 7Roll the roast back up and place back in netting.
- 8(Or truss with kitchen twine if no netting was provided) Rub the remaining mixture on the outside of the roast.
- 9Place the roast in the crock pot and cook at high for 20 minutes.
- 10Turn down to low and cook at least 3 hours longer or until the pork is falling apart.
- 11Remove pork from truss or netting and shred into large chunks, removing any large pieces of fat that may be left.
- 12Return to juices which have accumulated in the crock pot.
- 13For the broccoli rabe: Wash thoroughly and cut about 1/2 inch off the bottom of the stems.
- 14Cut the florets off the top and set aside.
- 15Bring 3qts salted water to a rolling boil.
- 16Add broccoli rabe leaves and stems and cook about 1&1/2 minutes then add the florets and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- 17Remove broccoli from boiling water and drain, but reserve about 1/4- 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- 18In a deep frying pan (which is cold) begin heat olive oil, red pepper flakes and garlic together over medium heat.
- 19Once the garlic begins to sauté, begin to time about two minutes (till very lightly browned) add drained broccoli.
- 20Sauté the broccoli rabe about 3-5 minutes longer and then add the cooking liquid from the pot.
- 21(This should look a little soupy).
- 22Assemble: Toast sliced roll if desired.
- 23Add provo to roll before hot meat. then the cheese can melt. After that top with broccoli rabe generously. manja!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tony Luke's Italian Roast Pork Sandwich (The Real Deal)
Serving Size: 1 (599 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 705.5
- Calories from Fat 502
- Total Fat 55.8 g
- Saturated Fat 19.9 g
- Cholesterol 160.4 mg
- Sodium 1659.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 45.0 g