Tony DiRamio's (Not Your Mama's) Fra Diavolo Sauce
- In a large skillet or sauce pan sauté white onions in olive oil.
- Crush plum tomatoes in you hand and then add to skillet with white onions.
- Add crushed tomatoes and seasoning to skillet and cook covered at medium high heat for 30 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 2-1/2 hours; stirring occasionally.
- If you remove lid and let steam escape the sauce will thicken. Some people like it thicker.
- The sauce will get hotter (spicier) the longer you let simmer.
- The trick to hotter sauce is to add the desired crushed red pepper at the beginning.