Cook2 hrs 30 mins
fra diavolo sauce
Make and share this Tony DiRamio's (Not Your Mama's) Fra Diavolo Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 white onion, diced
- 2 (28 ounce) canssan marzano brand peeled Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a large skillet or sauce pan sauté white onions in olive oil.
- Crush plum tomatoes in you hand and then add to skillet with white onions.
- Add crushed tomatoes and seasoning to skillet and cook covered at medium high heat for 30 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 2-1/2 hours; stirring occasionally.
- If you remove lid and let steam escape the sauce will thicken. Some people like it thicker.
- The sauce will get hotter (spicier) the longer you let simmer.
- The trick to hotter sauce is to add the desired crushed red pepper at the beginning.