Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my absolute favorite Japanese food. (What's not to like? It's fried!) I was introduced to this by Japanese exchange students I was hosting. The tonkatsu sauce is purchased at most grocery stores in the Asian foods section. Serve on a bed of shredded cabbage, for presentation. Serve with TONKATSU Sauce (the database won't let me add this as an ingredient).
- Pound pork to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Coat with flour, then dip into egg, and finally coat thoroughly with Panko.
- Deep fry in 1 inch vegetable oil, heated to 350º, 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Serve on bed of shredded cabbage, for presentation.
- Serve with Tonkatsu sauce.
- NOTE: If you can't find Panko, you may use crushed corn flakes.
Besides some sushi, this is my absolute favorite Japanese dish! I always make it this way but have heard from one Japanese person to add a little Saki to the egg mixture. Tastes great either way and the Tonkatsu sauce is a definite must, easy to find near the soy sauce at the grocery store and delicious!!! My whole family LOVES this dish!!
This came out great! we really enjoyed it.
Very easy and delicious. A keeper.