Recipe by Zurie
Toni is a caterer and baker in Johannesburg, and this recipe of hers is sinfully scrumptious. Most of you know how to fold and roll spring roll pastry, otherwise check out the directions on the packet. Instead of the chocolate and nuts, you can use banana and honey, or raspberries and white chocolate. Sorry, this is metric -- I give the weights in oz. as well but that's MY maths ... You serve these with a great ice cream. Prep and frying times are a guess.
- 200 g bittersweet chocolate, good quality, bittersweet (dark chocolate, 7 oz)
- 125 ml thick fresh cream (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 150 g hazelnuts, roughly chopped (5 oz)
- 10 sheets springroll pastry dough
- 500 ml cooking oil (2 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the cream and butter in a heavy-bottomed pot and warm up slowly.
- Break up the chocolate and add.
- Stir until chocolate has melted, and add the nuts. Cool the mixture -- it should set somewhat.
- Lay out a sheet of springroll pastry, and put a heaped teaspoon of the chocolate mixture on a corner. Roll and fold pastry according to the instructions on the packet.
- Refrigerate the rolls for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil until hot, then fry the spring rolls until golden.
- Serve hot, with ice cream.