Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Comfort food at its best. My variation of a great recipe. You will love this. Give it a try!
- 6 green peppers
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄2 cup white rice
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut tops off of peppers close as possible to the edge and remove seeds.
- In a bowl, mix by hand, the ground beef, rice, onions, oregano, basil, black pepper, and 4 ounces of tomato sauce(reserve the remaining sauce).
- Stuff each pepper with mixture to the top of pepper.
- Place stuffed peppers in large enough baking dish to have room for remaining sauce.
- Pour the remaining sauce evenly over each of the peppers.
- Slice mozzarella cheese in quarter inch pieces and cut lengthwise again to achieve quarter inch squares 2 inches long.
- Bake peppers 1 hour at 400 degrees.
- Baste each pepper with sauce from bottom of pan every 15 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, place even amounts of mozzarella cheese on top of each pepper.
- Place 4 slices on pepper and change direction with additional 4 slices.
- Bake additional 15 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
Big smiles and thumbs up from the family. Thank you
This is a new zaar favorite for me! Great taste and easy to prepare. I used 3 bell peppers and sliced in halves. I used 1.5 lbs ground round and brown rice. I also doubled the tomatoes sauce. Thanks for posting such an all around terrific recipe.