Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
An easy and healthy gumbo that is relatively easy and simple to make. I use Smart Balance butter for a mostly fat free dish.
- 6 ounces cooked frozen salad shrimp, thawed
- 8 ounces chunks crabmeat
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, finely chopped and seeded
- 2 small celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 fresh minced garlic clove
- 1 cup cut frozen okra, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup cooked white rice
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Smart Balance butter spread or 2 teaspoons regular butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Frank's red hot sauce or 1⁄4 Tabasco sauce
- Chop onion, jalapeño and bell peppers, celery and garlic; set aside.
- Start rice and cook accordingly and when finished set aside.
- In medium to large pot over medium heat, add the vegetables and Smart Balance or butter and cook the vegetables until they start to soften, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add to the pot diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning, thyme and hot sauce; simmer 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To the pot add the shrimp, crab and okra; simmer another 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To the pot add the cooked rice; cover pot and simmer for the final 10 minutes, stirring 1 or 2 times. Enjoy.
- Makes about 4 or 5 bowls of gumbo.
The gumbo was excellent served over rice. The only change that I made was to use medium sized shrimp instead of the little ones. I would make this again. Thanks :)