Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
If you can't get fresh, bright, juicy tomatoes, don't even bother to make this. It just won't do with any pale substitutes! My son-in-law's great dish. Prep time doesn't include sitting for several hours until just before dinner.
- 3 large red ripe tomatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cloves garlic, whole,peeled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, coarsly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb penne
- 1⁄4 lb Fontina cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh black olives, sliced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Core and chop tomatoes into 1 inch pieces.
- Place into large bowl.
- Add garlic cloves, red pepper, basil, salt and pepper,olives and olive oil.
- Let stand at room temperature several hours.
- Cook Penne till al dente.
- Grate Fontina and Parmesan.
- Spoon off 1/4 cup of surface oil from the tomato mixture, and add to drained penne.
- Toss gently to mix.
- To this, add Parmesan and toss.
- Then add tomato mixture and toss.
- Then add the Fontina and toss.
- Pick out garlic cloves, and serve in soup bowls.
- Have a good crusty Italian bread to mop.