Recipe by Tom Sullivan
This is a simple but very elegant dish that's easy to make and cooks in the time it takes to prepare the pasta. It's great as a pasta course or as the main dish.
Top Review by Mandalou
I made this recipe for my husband on our Anniversary. Needless to say we had a fabulous evening! The Vodka Sauce was easy to prepare and even easier to consume! Thanks for a user-friendly recipe!
- 1⁄2 lb dried penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 lb prosciutto di Parma, diced
- 1 ounce vodka
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil (chiffonade, i.e. rolled and sliced thinly)
- 1 -2 tablespoon tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt butter over medium heat in heavy large skillet.
- Add prosciutto and cook, stirring until slightly browned.
- CAREFULLY add the vodka and flame, shaking the pan until the flames die down.
- Raise the heat to medium high and add the heavy cream.
- Cook, stirring until sauce slightly thickens and will coat the back of a spoon.
- Stir in the tomato paste, a little at a time, just until the sauce turns pink. Add the parmigianno-reggiano and stir.
- Drain the pasta thoroughly and add to the pan, stirring or tossing to combine.
- Sprinkle with basil and serve.