Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
An easy alternative to smoking jerky, this spicy version is a great snack for road trips, fishing trips, or just for snacking. A healthy snack as well. Can use turkey and venison as well.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (turkey breast and venison works well also)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons tenderizing salt (e.g. Mortons Tenderquick)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons pickling salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- Mix the salts, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and onion powder together and put into a salt shaker; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 150°F.
- Cut chicken into 1/8th inch strips or 1/8th inch cubes (thickness doesn't have to be exact, can be a little thicker).
- On a cutting board, sprinkle each strip evenly and heavily then with a meat mallet, rolling pin or pan, pound mixture into chicken. Turn chicken over and repeat.
- Place strips in single layer on a oven-safe metal cookie cooling rack (fine mesh or closely spaced bars work best).
- Cook chicken until dry but not brittle, 4 to 5 hours, rearranging once.