Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Greatly influenced by this outstanding recipe by Lalaloula: Oven-Baked Balsamic Cherry Tomatoes With Rosemary, I wanted to make a quick and uncomplicated tomato side dish to accompany a Middle Eastern-themed meal. Use any type of tomato making certain it's good quality. Off season, use organic canned tomatoes.
- 4 -5 medium tomatoes, stemmed and quartered (if using small tomatoes they can be left whole)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion, peeled and cut into slivers
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons honey, softened (use agave or other alternative sugar for vegan version)
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate syrup (*not* grenadine)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- kosher salt, to taste
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the tomatoes in baking dish and drizzle with olive oil.
- Scatter the onion slivers and minced garlic on top.
- In a small bowl, whisk the honey and pomegranate syrup together and pour over the tomatoes and onions. Tip: to make pouring easier, lightly grease the inside of the bowl with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with the marjoram, salt and black pepper.
- Bake for about 18 minutes or until the tomatoes are quite soft. Stir the mixture every 5 minutes while spooning the sauce on top of the tomatoes.
- Dinner menu 24 July: Pan grilled skinless chicken thighs with a dry rub (Recipe #79179), simple steamed green beans, medium-grain plain white rice (the sauce from this recipe was really good spooned over the rice!), and our featured recipe: Toms 'n' Pom.
- Note: I didn't measure anything when putting this recipe together.
How good this was!<br/>I prepared this as suggested, but I reduced the honey to a teaspoon as our honey is very taste and it would be too dominant. I'm glad I have the pomegranade molasses at home as this is really THE great additions to this recipe. My son cleaned up the mold with bread as the juice was incredible delicious!<br/>A great keeper and a aweasome recipe! Thanks a lot CG, I love your recipes!
Very easy & a big hit with everyone! The flavors were delicious. It could only be better with *summer* tomatoes! Made for Tasting UAE or whatever it's called in the NA/ME Forum...
Great even with organic canned tomatoes!! I used unrefined extra virgin olive oil, organic onion, local organic garlic, raw local honey, Cortas pomogranate syrup, forgot to buy dried marjoram so left it out, fine grey sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Served as a sauce with organic brown Jasmine Rice and an Emratie curried fish dish. Made for Exploring United Arab Emirates!