Recipe by papergoddess
Good old fashioned potato soup. Great on a cold day.
Top Review by Gerry
We are soup lovers, and we loved this soup! Picked up some leeks with greens so tender that I cut a good portion into the soup, used one large carrot roughly grated and made as posted. The green of the leek tops and the carrot bits made this a very eye appealing soup. I divided the soup and added rue to half to thicken it up a bit knowing the chill had everyone really hungry. I served this with freshly baked biscuits made from Dotty2's biscuit mix with added cheese and freeze dried chives. All four of us loved this combo. Thank you and Tom's mother for a great soup recipe that is now in my special soup cookbook.
- 3 cups cubed potatoes
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 leeks, washed well and sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 cups water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes or 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute leeks in margarine until soft.
- Add potatoes and carrots to the pan.
- Add water and bouillion cubes; bring to a boil; cover and simmer on low about 45 minute.
- Put veges in blender or mash with a potatoe masher.
- return to pan with liquid.
- Add half and half, milk, salt, and hot sauce.
- Warm through but do not boil.