Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
I have not tried this recipe yet, but it is on my menu in the next two weeks. Posting it for ease. It is from Joanna Lund, and I just love her recipes. I've tried her other meatloaf's and they are to die for. I like them the next day cold. Each generous portion is only 193 calories and only 537 mg of sodium. The Diabetic Exchanges are: 2 1/2 Protein, 1 Vegetable and 1/2 Starch. The recipe states it can be frozen.
- 16 ounces lean ground turkey or 16 ounces lean ground beef
- 6 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup dill pickle relish
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (3 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce (one 8 ounce can)
- 1 tablespoon brown Sugar Twin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine meat, bread crumbs, pickle relish, cheddar cheese onion and 1/3 cup tomato sauce.
- Mix well to combine.
- Pat mixture into prepared loaf pan.
- Stir brown sugar twin into remaining 2/3 cup tomato sauce.
- Spread sauce mixure evenly over meat loaf.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes. Place loaf pan on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes.
- Cut into 6 servings.
This really did taste like a cheeseburger. It makes a pretty good sized loaf. It wasn't too dry. In fact, there is plenty of liquid in the bottom of the pan. I did not change any ingredient and it turned out pretty good. We had it with salad and baked french-fries.
This was pretty good. It would have been better if I'd not picked up the wrong relish by mistake. :D That's just my opinion. My dh loved it even with the sweet relish.