Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A delicious southern dish. Sometimes I add a little turkey bacon to it for flavor.
Make and share this 'tomokra' (Stewed Tomatoes and Okra) recipe from Food.com.
- Wah and clean the okra.
- Saute onion until tender.
- Add okra, garlic, sauce, and tomatoes.
- Stir to blend.
- Cover, reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for about an hour, or until okra is nice and tender, stirring as needed. Stir slowly, because the okra will fall apart.
- Season to taste.
- Optional, sprinkle diced bacon on top before serving.
Followed the recipe-it was AMAZING!
My mom makes this, and it tastes just liker hers, which is quite the compliment. Thank you for the post! p.s. I browned some sausage (and you can add chicken too) and added it to the dish. Delish!