Recipe by Dib's
This recipe is posted by request. Clone recipe by Todd Wilbur. Serve on burgers, or hot dogs I would think.
Top Review by lisaportillo78_11873977
This recipe is good but not like Tommy's really. The other recipes I've looked up say 3 TABLESPOONS of chili powder, not 3 teaspoons. So I may try doing that instead. I'm pregnant
- 1 lb ground beef, not lean
- 1⁄4 cup flour, plus
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons grated then chopped fine carrots
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan brown meat over medium heat, crumbling as you cook.
- Pour meat in to a strainer over a bowl.
- Reserve 1/2 cup fat and return meat to saucepan.
- In a medium saucepan heat fat over medium heat.
- When hot whisk in the 1/4 cup flour.
- Reduce heat to medium low, and continue to cook until a rich caramel color is reached, around 15 minutes.
- Add beef broth and whisk well.
- Remove from heat.
- In the meat saucepan add water to the cooked beef.
- Whisk in remaining flour.
- Add the roux/broth and remaining ingredients.
- Heat to medium high stirring often.
- Once a gentle boil is reached, reduce to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes, again, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and let stand 30 minutes to thicken.