I duplicated this recipe from one my family loves at T-Bones Steakhouse in Charleston, SC. I have no idea why they are called Tommy Fries. They are served at the steakhouse as an appetizer.
- Boil potatoes until soft.
- Slip peels off and cube potatoes.
- Salt and pepper potatoes to taste.
- Fry bacon until crisp, saving bacon grease.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Brown cubed potatoes in bacon grease and set aside.
- Pour bottle of Ranch Dressing onto an oven safe platter.
- Pile potatoes on top of dressing.
- Crumble bacon over potatoes and spread cheddar over potatoes.
- Broil in oven until cheese melts.
- Serve as a side or an appetizer.
Oh man, was this good! Rich and tasty - and low fat, too! Ok, so two out of three's not bad. Seriously, quite easy and really really delicious! I pretty much stuck to the recipe except I put half the potatoes down on the ranch then sprinkled a handful of cheese then put the rest of the potatoes down and then the rest of the cheese. I ended up with the bacon on top. I was afraid the ranch on the bottom of the platter would go to waste but the potatoes sort of draw it up into them. We were scraping our plates clean to get every morsel. Extremely yummy - a real husband pleaser! Thanks, Kim, for a great dish! I'm uploading a picture so everyone can see how yummy it is!
These were delicious. I never would have thought to combine these particular ingredients but they all went together fantastically. The Ranch dressing really gave these potatoes some zing. Very yummy. Thanks for posting.
Yeah Baby is right. We made ourselves sick off these. The cheese, bacon and ranch made for a great combination. Give Tommy a big ole smooch from me. Yummy to the third. Thanks Kim :)