Recipe by Cook4_6
I found this on the Tommy Bahama Site and am posting to take to a Memorial Day Picnic. Cooking time includes both cooking and cooling times. The original recipe calls for an uncooked pastry crust, but I prefer a graham cracker crust. You can use either.
- 10 inch uncooked pie crusts
- 1 egg white
- 591.47 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 177.44 ml pasteurized egg yolk
- 236.59 ml key lime juice
- 1 lime, zest of
- 1 lime, sliced into 8 equally-sized wheels
White Chocolate Mousse Whipped Cream
- 8 fluid ounce heavy cream
- 44.37 ml powdered sugar
- 1.23 ml pure vanilla extract
- 7.39 ml instant white chocolate mousse mix
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the pie:Brush egg whites onto uncooked pie shell using a pastry brush, making sure the shell is evenly coated. Pour off any excess egg whites.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F Place pie shell in oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Shell should look golden brown. Let cool at room temperature.
- While the shell is cooling, mix the egg yolks and condensed milk together using a wire whip until incorporated. Pour the key lime juice and zest into the mixture of yolks and condensed milk, slowly mixing with the wire whip until incorporated.
- Add the key lime pie mixture into the cooled pie shell. Adjust the oven temperature to 250° F and bake pie for 25-30 minutes. The finished pie should have a "Jell-O"-like consistency. Place on a cooling rack for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving. Cut into 8 even slices when serving.
- To make the whipped cream, Instructions:Using an electric mixer, combine heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Using the whisk attachment, beat cream mixture on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the white chocolate mousse to the cream mixture and mix until it reaches the consistency of stiff peaks.
- Place the whipped cream into a piping bag with an open star tip. When serving, pipe it onto each piece of key lime pie. (If you do not have a piping bag, you can simply dollop a generous scoop of the whipped cream onto the center of each piece.).
- Cut a slice in your lime "wheels," twist and place in the center of each piece.