Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is so easy to make, especially if you are a little hesitant at making this kind of dish. Give it a try, you can do it!
- 2 (7 ounce) cans whole green chilies (I use Ortega's)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 (13 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- salsa (for topping)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Remove seeds from chilies.
- Slice open the chilies and line a 9x13 casserole with half of them.
- Cover chilies with half of the cheddar and half of the jack cheese.
- Use the rest of the chilies on top of the cheeses.
- Beat the egg whites till stiff peak.
- Beat the yolks and add flour, milk, salt and.
- Fold in whites and pour over top of chilies and cheese.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour.
- Top with the remaining cheeses.
- Top with salsa, if desired.
this was very good, I also made this using green chilies and also added in1 tablespon crushed chili flakes, thanks for sharing Fluffster, this was made for KK's Green event
We enjoyed this. I used 3 5oz. cans of El Paso whole green chiles - it was barely enough. My only complaint is that the casserole ended up being quite flat. I was hoping it would be fluffier with the stiff egg whites. Maybe I did something wrong.