Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 13 mins
I make this when the shepherd and the cowherd are on vacation.
- 4 -5 large potatoes
- beef broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 1 dash whole milk or 1 dash heavy cream
- 1 lb lean ground lamb or 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb ground lean pork or 1 lb lean ground veal
- 1 large fresh tomato, chopped
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 8 fluid ounces beef gravy
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas or 1 (10 ounce) package peas and pearl onions
- Cook the potatoes in beef broth to cover; drain, cool and peel.
- Mash them in large bowl with butter, milk and season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Sauté the meat until it is browned, stirring to keep the meat crumbly.
- Season to taste.
- Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, parsley, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and gravy; stir to mix.
- Add the peas and cook about 5 minutes.
- Turn the mixture into casserole.
- Spread the potatoes evenly over the meat.
- Bake at 400°F for about 40 minutes until the top is crispy brown.