Recipe by Kiwi Kathy
A money saving low GI meal. Fresh tasting, easily prepared, satisfying and delicious.
Top Review by Linky
I used the last three tomatoes from our garden - sob! They weren't very large, also my tuna was in a 5 oz. can (about 125 g. or so). As I put in the second Tb of lemon juice I realized that it was going to be too much for the smaller amount of tuna. So, my results were very runny but also very delicious. Will make again, for sure! Made for PAC fall 2012
- 2 tomatoes, 340gm Beefsteak
- 200 g tuna, in olive oil, thoroughly drained
- 14.79 ml capers, drained and rinsed well
- 1 stalk celery, with leaves, thinly sliced and diced. Appox 1/2 cup
- 14.79 ml parsley, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml basil, hand ripped into small pieces, about 4 large leaves
- 59.14 ml mayonnaise, light
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash tomatoes and cut off tops, scoop out the pulp and seeds.
- Sprinkle the insides lightly with salt and turn upside down on a board. Chop up the pulp.
- In a medium bowl, add the tomato pulp, tuna, capers, celery, parsley and basil. Mix well, making sure to break up the tuna chunks.
- Add the mayonaise and lemon juice and mix well.
- Add salt & pepper to tase, if desired.
- Fill the tomato cavities with the tuna mixture and refrigerate about 1 hour before serving.