Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Try this dish to break the monotony of your mealtime. It's so scrumptious and so different!
- 4 tomatoes, medium firm ripe
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of all liquid
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sour cream
- 6 ounces neufchatel cheese, softened or 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs, plus more for topping
- Cut tops off tomatoes. Using a teaspoon, carefully remove, and reserve, the pulp. Force pulp through strainer, rendering 1/2 cup of juice.
- Lightly sprinkle pepper inside the tomato shells. Invert on paper towels, and let drain.
- Over low heat, melt 2 Tbsp of butter in skillet. Add the garlic and onion. Sauté until soft, about 5 minute; set aside.
- Combine onion and garlic with the reserved tomato juice, spinach, sour cream, cream cheese, mozzarella, Parmesan, basil, and bread crumbs in a food processor. Blend thoroughly.
- If mixture appears too thin, gradually add more bread crumbs, if it's too thick, add more tomato juice. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Scoop the filling mix into the tomato shells. Top with more bread crumbs and dot with bits of the remaining butter. Place in lightly greased baking dish and bake for 20-30 minutes.
I scaled this down to one tomato and enjoyed with a salad for dinner. Thanks! Made for the PRMR game.
This was one of the best side dishes we have ever had. Made recipe without any adjustments, and it was a nice compliment to our dinner last night. I used cream cheese as an option. A very nice easy to prepare dish. Made for PRMR tag.
WOW. I love spinach, tomatoes and cheese so this was the perfect dish for me. I prepared it as a side dish with Ww Texas Steak With BBQ Sauce - 6 Points for dinner and it was great. Thanks so much for sharing. This was also simple to prepare.