Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I make these as an accompaniment to my Barbecue Lamb on Mediterranean Salad, see recipe #287541. They are tasty and easy - and look great.
- 4 tomatoes (vine ripened with stalk still attached work best)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 onion, finely diced
- 200 g ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs or 1 tablespoon bread stuffing mix
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes to form the lids, and set to one side. Carefully scoop out the seeds and jelly of the tomatoes with a teaspoon and set aside.
- Heat up the oil in a smallish saucepan. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook a further minute.
- Add the lamb mince and cook until lightly browned.
- Add the pine-nuts, reserved tomato flesh and breadcrumbs. Cook a further minute or 2 until the mixture is well combined. Add some water to the mixture if it’s cooking too quickly.
- Place the tomatoes in shallow baking dish. Spoon the lamb mixture into each tomato, ensuring that they're firmly stuffed.
- Place the lids on top of the tomatoes and push down on top of the mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake in a moderate oven for 20-30 minutes.