Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Put these on your buffet table for lovely splash of color. Delicious blend of flavors. Great vegetarian dish or a dish everyone will enjoy
- 4 medium tomatoes or 4 medium tomatoes, ripe but firm
- 1 cup cooked rice or 1 cup couscous or 1 cup quinoa (or other grain)
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pine nuts or 1⁄2 cup almonds
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely minced or 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- salt & pepper
- spray olive oil or vegetable oil
- Cut the tops from the tomatoes- save.
- Scoop out the inside of the tomatoes leaving a solid shell, chop the tomato pulp.
- Mix the pulp with the grain, nuts, garlic, parsley cheese and season with salt& pepper.
- Fill the tomatoes with the mixture, replace tops.
- Spray the tomatoes lightly with oil, set them close together in an oven proof dish.
- Bake in 375F oven for apprx 25 minutes or until hot through.
- Remove carefully.
Very good stuffed tomatoes. I liked this recipe because all of the ingredients are things I always have on hand. Plus I was looking for a recipe without meat or tons of cheese. These have lovely, simple, garden fresh, summery flavor that would make a great side dish for just about anything. I used quinoa and toasted almonds. Also added a bit of fresh basil and couldn't resist a TBSP of ricotta on top. Thanks Bergy!