1/5 Photos of Tomatoes Roasted With Pesto
From Ina Garten. She says this is a nice way to give grocery store tomatoes that yummy summer flavor. It's a very flavorful tomato dish, made with a garlicky pesto (if using her homemade recipe - but you could also use store bought), so she recommends pairing it with something mild like fish. *prep time does not include making your own pesto. Note: Make sure to slice your tomatoes at least 1/2 inch thick.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs large tomatoes (up to 2 1/2 lbs, red, choose firm, ripe tomatoes. Heirloom tomatoes tend to fall apart when roasting)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce (store bought or homemade)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1*If Making the Homemade Pesto:.
- 2Put walnuts, pine nuts and garlic into a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process for 30 seconds. Add the basil, salt and pepper. With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil in through the feed tube and process until the pesto is pureed. Add the parmesan and puree for a minute. Use immediately or store in the fridge or freezer with a thin film of olive oil on top.
- 3Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 4Core the tomatoes and then slice them across (not through the stem) in 1/2 inch thick slices. Arrange the slices in a single layer on a sheet pan and drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the oregano, salt and pepper.
- 5Bake the tomatoes for 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven and spread each slice with pesto and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- 6Return the tomatoes to the oven and continue baking for 7-10 minutes, until the parmesan is melted and begins to brown. Using a flat spatula, put the tomatoes onto a serving platter, sprinkle with extra salt and serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomatoes Roasted With Pesto
Serving Size: 1 (290 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 758.4
- Calories from Fat 679
- Total Fat 75.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 22.0 mg
- Sodium 1362.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 13.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: