Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another wonderful tomato taste treat!! with freshly harvested vine ripened tomatoes. from Company's comming, cooking for diabetics.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, torn up
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, generous sprinkle
- 4 freshly harvested vine ripened tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Process bread, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper in blender or food processor until crumbled.
- Cut tomatoes into thick slices.
- Place in rows, slightly overlapping in 9 x 13 inch pan or shallow 2 quart baking dish.
- Brush surface with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with crumb mixture.
- Bake uncovered in 400f degree oven for 10 minutes until crumbs are browned and slightly crisp.
Wow, this dish showcases those vine-ripe, freshly harvested, luscious, red tomatoes. Simple flavors and a simple manner to prepare make this an outstanding side dish. I think this is absolutely wonderful. Thanks so much Dorothy, for sharing this recipe.
Excellent! I collect tomato recipes and this is perfect for fresh picked summer tomatoes. The bread crumb, garlic and rosemary topping browns and crisps during the brief cooking time that preserves the fresh color and taste of the tomatoes. I made the recipe as directed substituting sour dough bread and 1/4 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary. I served the tomatoes with Derf's Marinated Flank Steak and chia's New Potato Salad.
With fresh tomatoes in season and the gardens overflowing I was looking forward to trying this recipe and I finally got around to it. The tomatoes have so much flavor and they were great with grilled chicken!