Recipe by ciao
This is a very simple, but extremely mouth watering dish. Serve as an appetizer or as a meal. My husband and I will each have our own tomato served up. Take small pieces of good crusty bread, top them with your layered tomatoes, have a taste, and try not to say mmmmm. And you'll need a bit of extra bread to soak up the oil, vinegar, and juices left in your plate.
Top Review by MizzNezz
Another great way to use fresh tomatoes!! We loved this! I added a little chopped garlic. The balsamic vinegar gave a nice tang. We had these as a side dish with simple sauted chicken breasts. Lovely!
- 2 large fresh meaty tomatoes
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- fresh mozzarella cheese (about 3 or 4 small rounds)
- roasted red pepper
- basil leaves (about 10 or so, sliced in ribbons)
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice tomatoes about 1/2 inch thick and place on a serving dish.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Slice the mozzarella about 1/4 inch thick, and place on top of the tomatoes.
- Arrange slices of roasted pepper over the cheese.
- Sprinkle with basil.
- (To get the basil"ribbons", stack the leaves, roll them up, and slice them across) Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.