Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from a French recipe book and is quite healthy (apart from the cream sauce and the cheese, but you can use a low fat version). The original recipe uses "oseille" herb for the sauce but it is not easy to find, so I use the lemon juice as a replacement. These tomatoes are to die for and will also delight vegetarians (just omit the eggs).
- 4 eggs
- 4 beef tomatoes
- 3 carrots
- 3 leeks
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup grated cheese (any hard cheese like cheddar, emmenthal, parmesan ...)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the sauce
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4 ounces cream
- Cut out the top of each tomato and remove seeds and most of the pulp so that you can stuff the tomatoes later.
- Set the tops and the pulp aside.
- Sprinkle inside the tomatoes with salt and turn them upside-down on a plate to let the juice out.
- Grate the carrots and cut the leeks into slices.
- Wash the leeks in a colander and drain well.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the carrots and the leeks, stirring well.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cover.
- Leave it to cook for 15 minute Stir often the mixture to avoid it to burn at the bottom.
- Season to taste.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (275°F).
- Chop finely the garlic and the parsley.
- Divide the garlic/parsley into each tomato.
- Add ground pepper.
- Stuff each tomato with the carrots/leeks mixture.
- Put the tomatoes into an oven dish.
- Top each with an egg (it's hard to keep the egg on top the tomato!).
- Put any remaining carrots, leeks, the tomato pulp and tops in the dish.
- Sprinkle the lot with the grated cheese.
- Put in the oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese is golden and the tomatoes are cooked.
- In the last 5 minutes, prepare the sauce: heat the cream in a small saucepan and add the lemon juice.
- Bring briefly to the boil and keep warm, then serve with the tomatoes.
This was really good. It has such a nice flavor and I like the way it looks. (colors are important to me when it comes to my food) It was so pretty. Thanks for posting this - I'll be making it again!