Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
The tomato only found its way into Swiss recipes in the 16th century after Christopher Columbus introduced it to Europe from South America. This recipe, from the canton of Fribourg, uses Gruyère cheese and potatoes as stuffing, whereas, in the canton of Valais seasoned raw eggs are used for stuffing. This is suggested as a side for perch. From Easy Menu Cooking the Swiss Way, Helga Hughes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wash and halve tomatoes.
- Scoop out most of the flesh and discard liquid and seeds.
- Sprinkle each tomato half with 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar.
- Mix 1/2 cup grated cheese with mashed potatoes, white parts of green onion, and pepper.
- Stuff each tomato with equal amounts.
- Dot each with a little butter.
- Place into a well-greased, shallow baking dish and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove, sprinkle with remaining green onion and serve.
What a simple and interesting side dish! I used leftover mashed potatoes and skipped adding butter. This was very much enjoyed. Thanks for sharing! ZWT7